This was taken from www.thoughtcatalog.com
17 Things Running Teaches You About Life
1. To be good at anything, you have to put in the time and effort no matter how talented you are.
2. Your abilities and someone else’s abilities are not the same. Do the best that YOU can do.
3. If winning is your objective, realize that you have to work 10 times harder than the next best person.
4. No matter how hard you work and how prepared you are, disappointments will happen.
5. The most gratifying experiences usually come as a result of enduring the most painful trials.
6. To be great at anything, you have to risk failing terribly at it.
7. A lot of people endure the same pains that you do.
8. If you focus on putting one foot in front of the other, you will eventually reach the finish line.
9. You cannot reach the finish line unless you start.
10. The mind is a very powerful thing. If you can train your mind to keep going even when your body wants to quit, you can achieve some incredible things.
11. Learning the difference between physically being unable to continue and giving up.
12. Accepting that every day is different — some days 5 miles is really easy, other days it feels like a cruel punishment.
13. Pace yourself.
14. You cannot give 100%, 100% of the time.
15. Sometimes you need a day off, a day off from everything.
16. The worst time, the slowest pace, the last person to finish the race is still better off than the person who refused to try.
17. Even if you fall, even if you cannot finish today, you can and should pick yourself up and try again tomorrow.
As soon as I started this running journey back on March 1, I knew I needed to sign up for a race. I had been reading all sorts of posts about Run Disney events and this seemed like the perfect place to run my first race. So, I signed up for…
TOWER OF TERROR 10 MILER (and the 5K too!)
This race takes place in the evening on October 5, 2013. I am so excited to do this race. Everything about it looks like so much fun. And of course this means COSTUMES!! I already have my 10 miler costume picked out, and I am still decided on my 5K costume. Once I get them all decided upon, I will be sure and post back here for you to see what I have chosen.
Hello! My name is Debra. I am a mid 30-something, stay at home mom with 4 kids. I enjoy working out — mostly Insanity and kettlebells, but just in the last few months I have began a new journey…running.
March 1, 2013 was the first day I decided to start running. Why?? To prove to myself I could do it and to show my kids it is ok to live out your goals no matter what your age is. I set a goal of running a half marathon next year, in no place other than Walt Disney World.
I am starting off with walk-run intervals and will slowly begin adding miles in order to prepare for the race.
Join me along my journey!